Is your PC running slow? Does it take forever to start up or shut down you computer? Does it freeze all the time and you keep getting the blue screen of death error? If this is the case, then you need to fix your slow computer and improve its performance by following these 5 tips:
- Free Up Valuable RAM: First check the RAM by right-clicking on the “My Computer” -“Properties” and then “General.” The information about RAM is listed at the bottom. RAM means Random Access Memory and is the temporary storage memory of your computer. Not having enough RAM might slow down the system’s performance and make it unable to process all the tasks at hand. Delete any unused programs from your PC and empty your computer’s recycle bin to free up some RAM. To do that right-click on your recycle bin on the desktop, click “Empty Recycle Bin” and then “Yes”.
- Defragment Your Computer: Over time, more and more files in your system become fragmented. If a file is fragmented, it takes longer for your pc to read it and the overall performance is reduced. To defragment your disk Open My Computer, click Local Disk- Properties- Tools and then click Defragment Now. Choose the first hard disk, and click Defragment. Disk Defragmenter can take a few minutes or several hours, if the problem is more serious.
- Remove unnecessary programs: Many of the programs inside your hard drive have components that run all the time, slowing down your system’s performance. For example, iTunes has components that run invisibly in the background, whether you’re using the program or not. To remove any programs that you no longer use go to Control Panel – “Add or Remove Programs” and select the ones that you want to get rid of.
- Protect your pc against spyware and viruses: Spyware collects personal information without asking you for permission. In addition it causes slow performance. The majority of computers are infected with viruses and spyware, which can decrease speed considerably. Install an antivirus program and an anti-spyware program to protect you against these threats.
- Perform a Windows Registry clean up: 9 times out of 10 the cause for a slow pc will be a corrupted registry. Every time you install or uninstall some software, remove and add hardware, or change your pc’s settings the registry becomes fragmented with corrupted, invalid and many times harmful files. To fix this problem you will need to download a registry cleaner and run a scan. This tool will find all the invalid entries and delete them.
If your computer is still having problems, you might need to have us perform a FREE system diagnostic check at our offices in South Miami. Stop by anytime Monday – Friday, 9am – 5:30pm, or fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours. If you have any questions, give us a call: 305.669.6049.